Waterford Utility Information

The City of Waterford has provides water, sewage, and contracts for garbage pick up. You can set up a new account in Waterford by providing proof of ownership or a Rental / Lease Agreement. Accounts may be opened in person at City Hall. You can pay your utility bills any of the following ways:

Mail In
Please use the envelope provided with your bill to mail in your payment. Cash and check payments only. Mail payment to: City of Waterford, P.O. Box 199, Waterford, CA 95356.

Drop Box
The payment drop box is located outside the main entrance of City Hall. Cash and check payments only.

Pay In Person
Payment can be made in person at City Hall. Cash, check and credit/debit card payments. There is a $3.95 service charge for payments made with a credit or debit card. Payments can also be left in the City's dropbox, located underneath the notice board at the main entrance of City Hall.

Payment can be made ONLINE with your credit or debit card. There is a $3.95 service charge for each transaction.

Over the Phone
Payment can be made over the phone by calling (209) 874-2328 with your credit or debit card. There is a $3.95 service charge for each transaction.

Recurring Payments
Authorize regularly scheduled charges to your checking/savings account. You will be charged the total amount due to the City of Waterford each billing period. The charge will appear on your bank statement as "Direct Debit City of Waterford." There is no service charge.

Garbage Services in Waterford are provided by Gilton Solid Waste Management.

Gilton Solid Waste Management
755 S. Yosemite Ave.
Oakdale, Ca. 95361
(209) 527-3781
Flyer to Residential Customers
Waterford Garbage Routes

Frequently Asked Trash Management Questions

How do I dispose of bulky items?

Call Gilton's Office to schedule an appointment and to review acceptable and unacceptable materials. Customers get two bulky item pick up appointments per year at no additional cost. 

The City of Waterford also hosts a free bulk item trash dumping day for residents to dispose of large items at a central location once a year. Call city hall or follow the Love Waterford facebook page for details.

Can I dispose of my Christmas Tree?

Please set your Christmas trees out in front of the house on your pick up day the first two weeks in January. Place trees away from your cans and other structures/objects.

Power and water in Waterford is provided by Modesto Irrigation District. 

Modesto Irrigation District

Customer Service
Mon. - Fri., 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
(209) 526-7337 or
(888) 335-1643 toll-free

Frequently Asked Power/Water Questions

How do I report power outages?

Call (209) 526-7337
or (888) 335-1643 toll-free
Say or press 3.

Who do I call for an emergency during non-business hours?

Call (209) 526-8222 day or night

Where can I get sandbags when it's flooding?

The sandbag filling location is at 109 South E St next to the gas station. Bring your own shovel. Call (209) 874-4095 for details

How do I report flooding and downed trees during a storm ?

Report flooded streets or broken/fallen trees at (209) 874-4095

Waterford's emergency services are provided by the Stanislaus Consolidated Fire Protection District and the Stanislaus County Sheriff.

Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department
Office Number: (209) 525-7114
For After Hours Non-Emergency Dispatch calls dial:
 (209) 552-2468

Stanislaus Consolidated Fire                                            Office Number: (209) 869-7470                              

Email: admin@scfpd.us